Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Response to Catherine's Email Post

I think your art teacher was right. She just didn't or couldn't go any further with it. She left out the 'reflection' part of it. She should have gone one step further. For instance, the leaves on the trees are green. They are reflecting the green light that doesn't get absorbed so they look green to us.

I like this idea of different sounds cancelling each other out and can create silence. I never really thought about it that way. The saying "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it.." makes me laugh. Of course it makes a sound! We humans don't decide what makes a sound just because of our presence! I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I can say that you have piqued my interest and I am going to look in to it further.

Oh and thanks for the music reference! Gotta love The Police!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tracey, yes first and foremost the Police rock. Always nice to meet a fellow fan.
    Honestly looking back I think there were some holes in my argument...I mean---what are the odds if EVERY single sound wave is produced that it will meet and cancel out with its respective wave of the exact same amplitude? There is about as much of a chance of me throwing the play Hamlet into the air and having all of the pages land in order for the monkeys to retype perfectly. In order. Nahgunnahayppen. But then again we live in a world where paradoxes exist and perceptions of what we thought was ironclad are shattered at least every century. I say let the pages fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete