Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Response to Catherine's Post Questions

Thanks Catherine! Ok, so I'm going to take a stab at the questions from what I know so far. The things that make up a tessellation are the shape, order/flow and colors. This is why Escher feels the fish tessellation best depicts the infinite. As far as I know, the non-regular tessellations don't necessarily need to be a paradox (see sidewalk illustration below). I think I like them more when they do though! I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. As for what distinguishes a tessellation from any other pattern has to do with shape, order/flow, color and ,I think, most importantly are the angles. If the "math" is incorrect and the angles aren't accurate I the tessellation sort of falls apart. Ok so I did some research on the beach art and it's an optical illusion. HOWEVER, some of those optical illusions ARE tessellations and OH do I have a treat for your eyes:







Can you see the black dots between the squares?! Cool huh? This could be considered a tessellation (from what I've read) but it also an optical illusion. So the beach paintings that we have all seen could qualify as tessellations (probably the non-regular kind). I'm not certain on that though.



Oh, the FedEx arrow on the truck.....I learned about that about 8 years ago....so sneaky! Thanks for the questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment